Sat. 1st Oct. 2011:South Haven Point, Studland Bay

Monday 12 September 2011

Day11: Monday 12th Sept. St Ives to Pendeen Watch

Old tin mines,Pendeen, hurricane Katia day

Self-pity is one of my well-honed skills and there I was, trotting along whilst bemoaning my fate, when ,like a bolt of lightning, my left achilles suddenly morphed into a miniature hedgehog, with every spine targetting the back of my heel. End of running for the day and a likely return visit to see the fizzio. So our original destination for the day was amended from Sennen to Pendeen Watch, a loss of some 9 miles. Furthermore, this section of the Path is notorious for its narrow, rocky, surface strewn with loose boulders, broken slate, etc., none of which was keen to take any passing runners as prisoners. It was by far the worst section yet to be encountered on the SWCP and it certainly took its toll on my schedule, forcing me to abandon my run. "The best laid schemes of mice and men gang aft agley....................... "

However we had in fact been rewarded with a stunning day's weather, albeit with the obligatory shower or two, and to witness Cornwall's wind-blown seas  under clear blue skies really is a sight to behold. And so to bed.

1 comment:

  1. That's really depressing news after 10 good days. My advice is to get yourself well before setting off again. Best wishes. Dick & Jean

    ReplyDelete