Sat. 1st Oct. 2011:South Haven Point, Studland Bay

Saturday 17 September 2011

Day 14: Thur 15.9.11 Porthleven to Coverack

Once again we were up at dawn and we soon arrived at Porthleven where I was despatched on another 25-mile run over the hills and far away. As usual it was raining first thing but the gloom soon lifted and we were promised another outstanding (i.e., dry) day. Apart from my padding around the Coast Path and dragging a reluctant Achilles everywhere there was an enlightening moment when I came across a dry-stone wall builder not a million miles from Mullion (or was it a mullion miles from Million?) and he took great delight in revealing the skills and techniques of this ancient art to one who was agog with admiration for his knowledge of the craft.
This turned out to be one of my longer runs with a pedometer reading of 33.1 miles but methinks the instrument has a mind of its own somewhere on the Ning Nang Nong (a bit like me,really) and it must have has an estimated margin of error of at least 20%! So much for “Silva” technology.
But apart from the astonishing change in the weather, the  best  news to report from today occurred just outside the “Paris Hotel” pub in Coverack which marked the end of today’s run. There was I, in the middle of my warming down stretches when one of the patrons came down the pub steps, hail fellow, well met, to congratulate me on my wanderings and insisted on buying me a pint. When I asked him how he knew what I was doing, he  replied that he had read about it in “The West Briton” local paper.So here is proof, if proof were needed, that we have now hit the high spots in international sports reporting. Today Cornwall.......tomorrow the World!  And so to bed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment