Sat. 1st Oct. 2011:South Haven Point, Studland Bay

Monday 19 September 2011

Day 18: Mon 19th Sept Fowey to Looe



Phidippides Phil's Pheet

Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! Today was a red letter day if ever there was one; the day of reckoning had come for my insurgent Achilles which had an appointment with a Fizz-Wizz (physiotherapist wizard) in Plymouth. One of Alison's mates, Richard, had already made an appointment for me with a leading fizzio known locally as Phidippides Phil., the man who never gives up. (You'll have to look that one up for yourselves). But there was really no contest as Phidippides Phil got stuck into Achilles big time with unexpected frontal attacks on my lower calf muscle and a couple of deceptive pincer movements either side of my heel. The battle lasted about 30 minutes with me wincing at every blow before Achilles threw in the towel and Phidippides Phil was declared outright winner and never even charged me as much as a penny for all his efforts! For those who doubt the deeds of this episode I have reproduced photographic evidence of the fizzio's instruction that I should take any opportunity to drown  said Achilles in cold sea water. Pub Quiz: can you identify the name of this beach?

The end result was that I was then able to zoom along the Coast Path from Fowey to Looe, a section of great difficulty, without fear of hindrance from the hitherto obstructive tendon. Considering that I was almost unable to walk, never mind run during the previous few days, the treatment was next to miraculous and I had the most satisfying run of the campaign to date despite horrendous hills, murderous mud and withering, wet and windy weather (and running out of my ration of alliteration). Albeit that I had now lost some valuable running time, nevertheless a very real threat to the whole challenge had now been lifted and I could now look forward to running without interruption for some time; fingers crossed.

Also, we have now moved on again to our next venue in fabulous Fowey where Sarah has so generously offered us the use of wonderful accommodation in her holiday home. So it's hats off to Sarah and off to bed for us.

2 comments:

  1. Hope Alison did well in her Tri and hope that achilles is giving you less jip ! Managed to do the Pilgrims Way Half a mere stroll compared to you Jack ! Managed 2hrs 15 not bad considering the hils beautiful views over the North Downs AND the rain stayed away too ! Hope you have a good Monday luv Pam & Pete xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know what Neil has been doing to keep up with his dad, mum and sister? Great photo. You all look so well considering your punishing sporting efforts. I don't know if Phidippides could match you Jack but you are doing better than the Greek economy even if that other Greek hero was giving you jip. Ian

    ReplyDelete