Sat. 1st Oct. 2011:South Haven Point, Studland Bay

Thursday 29 September 2011

Day 28: Thurs 29th Sept Langton Herring to Lulworth

Portland Bill
Heat haze over Chesil Bank
 On yet another magnificent Mediterranean-type morning I was able to set off with a spring in my step whilst dragging the other step behind me in a show of petulent non co-operation. The quads injury (of week 1) had now returned to haunt me with a vengance and grew in intensity the further I tried to walk or run.

The first task was to fight off the colossal biblical-like swarms of daddy long-legs that were hi-jacking every thing that moved around the Chesil Beach banks, man or beast. There were thousands of them forming huge dust clouds and determined to take no prisoners. No way were they a threat but they didn't half make you run /limp fast to avoid them.

The September sun now really had his hat on and Portland was beginning to look like a Bank Holiday centre for geriatrics as they, too, came out in their thousands to swarm all over the "island". Again I made good progress but this time I carried no rucksack as Pat was able to supply all my survival needs from the car. Sad to relate however that the progress gradually ground to a near halt as the forces of evil, in the shape of the aforementioned quads muscle,took over the control of my right knee. However, the new product on the market, "Son of Paracetamol", waded in to provide pain relief until I was able to see yet another physiotherapist (my fourth of the campaign) back on the mainland.

Once again, my continuation in the project appeared to be very much in the hands of Fifi la Fizz and it wasn't long before she slapped and tickled me through the pain barrier. Thanks to her intervention, I was soon reconstructed and very much looking forward to tomorrow, the penultimate day of the whole exercise.

Our last 'home' on this adventure is now with Roger and Joan, so many thanks due to them.
Tune in to dashing Jack's blog and discover for yourself whether the spoils of the victor will be delivered to moi or whether the injury vodoo will strike again..............And so to bed.


ps from Pat
Delighted to see anyone on Saturday who is able to turn up for his Lordships return.  South Haven Point, the official end of the South West Coastal Path, is right by the Studland end of the Sandbanks to South Haven Ferry. There is an NT car park and we'll grab a spot on the beach nearby. Hope he'll finish between 12 and 1pm so bring a picnic.

1 comment:

  1. The end is in sight. You've overcome and succummbed to so many hurdles and fizzios, I hope all your bits hold out for the finale, Jack.
    Well done, that man. Pat, what can I say, but for you......
    Hope you both enjoy Saturday and a well-earned rest on Sunday.
    All the best, Dave & Lorna

    ReplyDelete